How can you find game artists for hire today? It is as easy as one-two-three – just go there where many specialists are! There are hundreds of talented and skilled game artists out there waiting for your job offer. The only thing is to find the best ones and start collaborating with them for the benefit of your business project. No idea where the artists hang out?
You’re offered such types of hiring workers as:
3 Common Ways to Hire Game Artists Today
1. Freelancing platforms like UpWork or Freelancer
Many professionals are ready to connect and collaborate remotely. Affordability, flexible time schedule, freedom, and independence are just several advantages of hiring freelancers. On top of all that, you have the chance to shortlist specialists based on your own needs – all you need to do is to try your luck. Don’t hope that the first available freelancer is your dream worker.
Finding freelancers is easy: in addition to well-known platforms, they often hang out on social networks, bulletin boards, thematic forums and job search channels channels in messengers.
- Huge selection of specialists. UpWork, Freelancer, Fiverr, Toptal and other platforms are filled with experts from different fields with different backgrounds and skills. So here you will definitely find the one you need.
- Free hire. There is no need to sign contracts and provide the employee with equipment and software. You pay for the work on a specific project, can interrupt cooperation at any time and decide for yourself whether to cooperate with this expert again.
- Fast adaptation. Freelancers are constantly working on different projects, so they are especially good at adapting to new conditions and features without downtime and unnecessary questions.
- Cost-effectiveness. Freelance collaborations are more affordable than hiring in-house employees because you only pay for the deliverables, avoiding overheads, insurance and sick leave. In addition, there is a wide range of specialist rates, and you can always choose an option within your budget.
- Flexibility. Employees hired through freelance platforms are usually very flexible in collaboration. You can contact them at any time when an unforeseen urgent task appears and agree on its completion at the time you need. If one specialist cannot take on the task, you can easily choose another.
- One at a time hiring. Platforms represent the ability to hire individuals, not teams. So it will take a lot of time to recruit the team of experts you need.
- No quality guarantees. Since you do not sign any contracts, and the employee works remotely, you have no guarantees that the result of the desired quality will be achieved. Freelancers also often work on many projects at once, which negatively affects the result.
- Communication problems. If employees are located in a different time zone, then they will not be able to provide you with an instant answer to your question, request or message. This can greatly delay the work on the project.
- Style inconsistency. Every freelancer has a different drawing style, which may not match the company’s overall artistic approach to work. This can result in inconsistent projects that do not fit each other in style.
- Privacy concerns. If to work on a task you need to transfer confidential materials, drawings or models to freelancers, you have no guarantees that they will not use them for their own purposes for other projects.
When is hiring a freelancer a good option? Working with a freelancer can pay off if you need to complete one specific task that is unlikely to be repeated in the future and does not require the involvement of a large team or hiring an in-house employee.
2. In-house employees working on the company premises
In this case, take into account the expenses of this employment – the price of hiring each specialist (there should be a recruiter who you need to pay for searching the necessary worker quickly), the cost of office services, including rentals (if the office premises aren’t bought out) and many others. You or your accountants will only find time to settle accounts for everything in brick-and-mortar offices and outside (various team-building activities and parties). But there is another side of the story – you’re guaranteed your team will be physically present in a company. The constant face-to-face communication will contribute to the final results enormously.
You can find in-house employees in LinkedIn, on job boards, in recruiting agencies, in thematic groups of social networks and messenger channels, on hiring marketplaces, etc. Remember that recruiting, onboarding, and training employees will take time, so don’t expect them to be immediately useful.
- Live communication. Working in the office, you have the opportunity to communicate face-to-face with each employee, ensuring fast transmission of the necessary information and instant feedback.
- High motivation. Some workers find it difficult to adjust to remote work and establish the necessary discipline. The business atmosphere of the office encourages many to work much better, positively affecting efficiency.
- Deep understanding. In-house employees work on a project from the moment the idea appears, so that they understand its details and nuances best of all. They do not need additional time to delve into it.
- Professional development. In-house hiring gives you the opportunity to grow talents from junior to senior levels and instill in them the skills you need. Career growth will increase employee loyalty, and the company will have a unique customized specialist.
- Fast problem solving. Offline work mode and the presence of all employees in one place allows solving any technical or project issue much faster than if the team worked remotely.
- Additional expenses. Office maintenance will cost you a pretty penny: you have to think about renting, equipping workers and buying software, office supplies, products, onboarding and training of new specialists and so on.
- Location limitation. You can recruit employees only from your city or offer additional relocation bonuses for those who are ready to relocate: this significantly narrows the range of search for specialists.
- Time spent. Finding specialists, interviewing and hiring takes a lot of time. After that, a certain period of time is required for onboarding and adaptation, only after which employees can fully immerse themselves in projects.
- Dependence on employees. If one of the experts falls ill or goes on vacation, this can negatively affect the project or slow down the work on specific tasks. You will also have to think about the replacement and familiarization of the new expert with the tasks and spend additional resources on it.
- Unstable retention rate. Other companies often try to lure qualified specialists with more favorable conditions and higher salaries. There is always a risk that your lead specialist will decide to change jobs at the most inopportune moment.
When is hiring an in-house team a good option? Working with an in-house team and all the associated costs are relevant if you want to start developing a complex and resource-intensive product that requires high concentration and increased attention. Then the team at your side will provide a much better understanding of the nuances and a quick response to changes.
3. Outstaffing/outsourcing services
It is a rapidly growing tendency and it is no wonder – a professional team of workers is gathered and ready to work on the tasks they specialize in. Many large organizations of various activities from around the world appreciated the convenience of this hiring method: software development companies, customer service firms, travel and hospitality studios, and this is far from the limit.
So what is offered in particular for this type of hiring game artists? For example, our company, Kevuru Games has all the necessary specialists of all levels and skills to deal with a gaming project/projects. You as a client can hire us to help with your specific needs. All the requirements, terms and conditions, guarantees of cooperation are put in a contract so that you and we can be sure in the effective work later on down the line. Contact us anytime.
If you are looking for an outsourcing company, pay attention to authoritative ratings and reviews of platforms like DesignRush, Clutch or GoodFirms: qualified studios must have accounts there. There you can also read customer reviews and see a portfolio, a more detailed version of which can be found on the studio’s website.
- Flexible cooperation models. An outsourcing company forms a team depending on your needs and can easily change its composition during the work on a project if someone’s services are no longer needed.
- High qualifications and QA. The staff of such studios consists of highly qualified experts with extensive experience who can immediately take on the most complex projects. Also, the team adheres to clear quality criteria, which guarantees an excellent result.
- Affordability. You save resources on interviews, training, workplace equipment and other nuances inevitable when hiring in-house employees. The budget is agreed, and the work on the project is adjusted to it based on your financial capabilities and expectations.
- A large pool of experts. Outsourcing companies have many departments including specialists in art, animation, programming, testing and more. You get instant access to all of them without the need for additional search of the necessary experts.
- High speed of work. Employees of outsourcing companies are experienced professionals who have faced tasks of varying complexity and who know how to work under tight deadlines without affecting quality. At the same time, a large number of employees allows assigning them several tasks at the same time.
- Difficulty of choice. There are many outsourcing companies and it is often difficult to choose the optimal option. We encourage you to read our guide on this topic, which will help shed light on the nuances of choosing a partner.
- Remote communication. Some may consider this a disadvantage, for someone it is difficult to cooperate without ever seeing their partners in the face. However, modern realities rather speak in favor of this type of work.
- Management issues. There is a possibility that the project management on the outsourcing company’s side is far from perfect, and the team needs your constant control.
- Hidden costs. It is necessary to thoroughly agree on all financial issues before proceeding to cooperation. Sometimes testing, management or marketing services are not included in the price and are calculated separately, which results in unplanned expenses.
- Privacy disclosure. Outsourcing tasks often requires coverage of IP details and secret nuances of the project. To avoid problems of possible leakage of valuable information, it is necessary to take care of a non-disclosure agreement drawn up in accordance with the legislation of the country where the outsourcing studio is located.
When is hiring an outsourcing company a good option? In fact, this is almost always a good option. The outsourcing model of team building is very flexible: the studio can select either one or dozens of experts to complete your tasks. Moreover, they are all highly qualified and ready to start work immediately. You can cooperate both one-time and permanently, depending on your satisfaction with the results of the studio’s work.
Average Salaries of Game Artists
If you’ve never hired a game artist before or have no slightest idea about the cost of their work, the next information is for you.
According to Glassdoor, game artist salaries start from $39,000 annually when it comes to entry-level art positions. This number can increase to $80,000 per year for senior and lead positions. The average salary for a game artist is around $56,000, but it’s not limited to only this number. The rule that more experience a specialist has, the more they’re likely to get paid doesn’t always work well.
Outside the expertise level, there are many other factors affecting the final cost of a game artist’s job:
- A particular game style and genre may affect how much an artist is paid;
- The scope of work also determines a game artist salary;
The salary of game artists varies by the country where they work. For example, artists have higher salaries in the USA than in Ukraine. ZipRecruiter offers some numbers for consideration.
Average Rates Per Hour for Specialists Engaged in Game Art
|Art Services||USA||UK||Germany||Eastern Europe|
The data on rates per hour is calculated based on the average salaries of game specialists per year, taken from the PayScale and Indeed platforms.
Key Requirements for Game Artists
To be a well-paid game artist, it is supposed to fulfill specific requirements set by the customer or employer. Having experience of creating games and art is usually enough to be hired as a game artist, especially if a candidate has an impressive portfolio with artworks. Most employers prefer those with experience and great work samples rather than with degrees. Well, what is required to get a job offer?
- Course completed in 2D game art, game design or a related area
- Experience of working with 2D illustration software (Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, SketchBook Pro, etc.)
- Full understanding of 2D art mechanics and art production processes
Are you looking for proficient 2D artists to hire? Read more information about it in the article. Just for the record – we provide full-cycle services in 2D art. You can see 2D art works in our portfolio. So, you can find it very useful at the moment.
- Degree in Art, or relevant experience
- Complete understanding of 3D art techniques and art production cycle
- High awareness of all the contemporary 3D illustration software, such as 3DsMax, Maya, ZBrush, Marvelous Designer, etc.
Work in 3D art requires creativity and technological skills. We offer full-cycle 3D art services and focus on long-term collaboration. Check out our 3D art creative baggage by yourself. If you have a great project idea but experience troubles with implementation, be sure our skilled professionals will select the most optimal solution in each case.
- Completing an animation training program
- Good drawing and sculpting skills backed up by extensive experience in the field
- The ability to create 2D animation and graphics with the help of software (Spine, After Effects, Moho (Anime studio), Toon Boom, Adobe Animate)
Work experience plays a crucial role in an animator’s career. Our experts in 2D animation can provide high-quality services based on their valuable experience of working with state-of-the-art tools. We worked on large animation projects for Socialpoint, GoodGame and Kongregate and know what a top class 2D animation should be.
- Deep understanding of 3D animation production
- Practical experience in 3D modeling and animation
- In-depth knowledge of computer software like Maya, Moho, 3DsMax, MotionBuilder, and more
In general, animation is extensive to learn and practice, but 3D is a fast-growing field to start progressing today. That’s what our team is concerned with when offering 3D animation services to many projects.
- Education in fine art or game art
- Proficiency in drawing, painting, and 3D modeling demonstrated in a portfolio that proves these skills
- Ability to work with Maya, 3DsMax, Painter, ZBrush, etc.
In fact, the talent, creativity and exceptional taste are the primary job requirements for concept artists. But most employers look for original art with a unique style. When you come to selecting the right concept artist for your project, strive to find the right balance of soft and hard skills. We have a rich concept portfolio that will definitely give you food for thought.
Wrapping Up About Hiring Game Artists
To wrap it up, to hire a good game artist is half of the battle which you can win eventually. All you need to do is to determine the best way of hiring specialists for yourself. Remember about freelancing, outstaffing or outsourcing services? You can collaborate with artists on an hourly basis or fixed price model. You can hire the whole team of 2D/3D artists, animators, and game designers. Alternatively, you can resort to the services of only one professional from a team. It’s up to you but keep in mind the specific features of each hiring model.
Do you intend to work with game artists in an office? Include all the expenses needed for team building in advance to become profitable finally. Your team must be quite motivated to go to work every day. Want to work with freelancers? Assess all possible risks – the incompetence of that person on that side of a screen, poor performance, considerable delays in delivering a product and so on. Avoid such risks beforehand by thoroughly conducted interviews via Skype or face to face meetings. Sometimes, it may be hard to do without recruiters’ assistance. In this case, you need to pay for this work as well.
Do you still on the fence regarding hiring our dedicated team of game artists? All the costs, risks and benefits are taken into account. The benefits outweigh the risks since experts are working on your project. They do what is required of them – eye-catching illustrations for any custom project.